Along with Mazzetta Menegon & Partner AG in Untervaz (Grisons) we developed "Summit GIS", a WebGIS solution for operators of skiing areas. Nowadays, running a larger ski area costs around 250,000 francs - per day! This has much to do with infrastructure - which needs to be managed efficiently!
Aldo Menegon, CEO Mazzetta Menegon Partner AG:
Finally an application that anyone can use. The user interface is self-explanatory, accessibility simple and clear.
No kidding - you are reading correctly: Transactional Web Mapping Services (WMS). WMS is raster data, how can one edit that? WMS are often underestimated, not only a few are thinking that WMS are something "view only", no information or whatever. Wrong. With WMS you can do almost anything you can do with vectors, if not even more:
- Dynamic legends and data description
Comprehensive functions for data capture
Summit GIS is the pivotal application for capturing and managing the infrastructure:
- Import of GPS data, captured using high precision differential GPS
- Capability to import CSV-lists and DXF layers as a backdrop for digitizing with snapping capabilities
- Online-editing and data capture based on WMS layers, including snapping capabilities
- When capturing points x,y, and z attributes are automatically set as attributes for points (needed for CSV export). When capturing areas, the surface is automatically updated as an attribute.
- HTML Legends generated by the WMS
- Selection and export of the infrastructure data for import into the navigation system
Summit GIS is already in use by top skiing areas such as Davos/Klosters, St. Moritz, Titlis, Gstaad, Flumserberg, Pizol.